Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
Prompt: One time, I got into an argument with my mom because I didn’t do my chores. She was really mad, and I just said I forgot because I had a lot of homework. My goal was to get her to understand my side, but just making excuses didn’t help. After reading the first chapters of Thank You for Arguing, I realize I should have tried to find something we agreed on, instead of just defending myself. If I could do it again, I’d listen to her, explain my problem, and then work out a solution together, like doing my chores after my homework. I think that would have made things go better for both of us.
Summary: In class, we continued to learn more about the essential skills of rhetoric.
Reflection: I learned more information of how to use rhetoric properly. Using these main three things: blame, values, and choice, it allows me to know how to really reach my goal in an argument without straying away.
Comments
Post a Comment