Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?
Prompt: When I tried to persuade my friend to side with Team Iron Man in Avengers: Civil War, I talked about how heartbreaking it was for Tony to find out Steve hid the truth about Bucky killing his parents. Even though Captain America was right to stop Tony from acting out of revenge, being lied to by a close friend would hurt anyone. I pointed out that Tony always sacrifices himself for the greater good, while Steve sometimes just sticks to what he thinks is “right” without thinking about what actually needs to be done. Using pathos, I showed my friend why I believe Iron Man’s side makes more sense.
Summary: Today in class we learned about the skills of rhetoric and how to properly achieve your goals with the audience.
Reflection: One example that was used was how to get out of a parking ticket. This could be very effective for the rest of somoens life when knowing how to do it properlly. I learned that if you set a goal, level with, use a unarguable excuse, and/or respect and yield to your opponent/audience, you can effectively menover your way out of a situation, like a speeding ticket.
Comments
Post a Comment